An unbiased review of the 5 best weight loss workouts for men
by Stuart Carter, Elite Men’s Health Coach, The Fit Father Project
Are you looking for weight loss workouts? If so, this article is exactly what you need. In it, I’ll walk you through an honest, unbiased review of the top 5 weight loss workouts for men.
You’ll learn what these workouts are, how they can help you, how you do them and what my overall ‘out of 10’ mark is for each.
From the information I share below, you will learn exactly why these are the 5 best weight loss workouts for men, and be able to decide exactly which one is best for you, based on your goals, preferences, and schedule.
Most importantly, all 5 of the workouts I am about to show you can help you lose weight, increase your metabolism and build muscle. This is what we help guys like you do!
Without further ado, let’s dive right into this “5 Best Weight Loss Workouts For Men Guide”.
Weight Loss Workouts For Men #1:
HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)
Quick definition: Fat burning cardio workouts that alternate between burst & recovery intervals.
What’s HIIT all about?
High Intensity Interval Training (or HIIT for short) is a cardio style workout that is designed to help increase your metabolism and burn fat in the shortest amount of time possible.
Unlike “traditional cardio workouts” where you would move at a steady pace on a treadmill, bike, or elliptical for 45+ minutes – HIIT workouts alternate between short bursts of maximum effort interspersed with periods of lower effort or active rest.
HIIT can be done with weights as well as with cardio exercise.
How will HIIT help me with weight loss?
HIIT exercise is one of the best ways to burn fat in the shortest amount of time possible. Here are a few of the main benefits.
- Faster weight loss results in a shorter workout time than traditional cardio workouts (just 25-30 mins per session)
- Proven to increase your heart health and VO2Max.
- You can use ANY form of cardio or weights exercise you prefer. Whether you like running, swimming, kettlebells or bodyweight – you can apply the HIIT structure to any workout.
- HIIT boosts your metabolism for up to 24 hours after a single session.
- You need no equipment and very little space.
Is HIIT right for me?
Most likely YES!
Here at the Fit Father Project, we incorporate HIIT into all of our fat loss workout programs like our famous Fit Father 30X Weight Loss Program, because of how effective, time-efficient, and flexible the workouts can be.
In short: we believe HIIT is a great fit for you if you want to burn fat and you’re short on time, travel often, or don’t have access to a gym.
How do I do my first HIIT session?
To get you started, here’s an excellent example of a HIIT workout to try:
- Start with a light 5 minute warm up
- Do 30 secs of high intensity (BURST) exercise as hard & fast as you can. Good choices are: jump squats, burpees, kettlebell swings, sprints, fast swimming, etc.
- After your 30-second “Burst”, immediately do 30 seconds lower intensity exercise to recover. If you’re bursting with squats/burpees, you can do some jumping jacks or simply jog in place. If you’re biking, swimming, or running simply scale back the pace.
- Repeat this 30-seconds burst, 30-seconds recovery structure 10-20 times.
- Finish with a 5 minute cool-down.
That’s it! Pretty simple right?
HIIT is an incredibly effective fat-burning workout that requires little or no equipment and just 20 minutes of your time.
How would I rate HIIT for weight loss?
I would personally rate HIIT as an 8/10 due to how easy it is to do anywhere without the need for equipment, the excellent fat burning effect it has, and the variety of exercises you can use with it.
Yet, HIIT alone is just one of the best weight loss workouts for men. You also want to know about this next workout type too…
Weight Loss Workouts For Men #2:
Quick definition: The most time-efficient fat burning workout developed by a Japanese physiology professor.
What’s Tabata Training all about?
Tabata training is based on a 1996 study by Professor Izumi Tabata.
Dr. Tabata was attempting to figure out the most time-efficient fat loss workout possible.
He ultimately stumbled upon a new workout scheme that he aptly named a “Tabata” (creative, right?) that consists of performing a series of 4 exercises performed in the following structure:
- 20 seconds exercise (your “ON” period)
- 10 seconds rest (your “OFF/Rest” period)
- Repeated this 20/10 “on”/”off” for 8 rounds
- After 8 rounds of a given exercise, switch to the next exercise.
- Rest 1 minute rest between exercise changes.
How will Tabatas help me with weight loss?
Tabata training offers benefits quite similar to HIIT workouts, such as:
- Tabatas are scientifically proven to provide better weight loss results than traditional cardio in a shorter time (20 min sessions).
- Tabatas are proven to increase your cardiovascular fitness, like HIIT.
- It’s very easy to track and monitor your progress of number of reps you perform in each 20 second “on” period.
- You can perform a wide variety of exercises in the Tabata workout structure – allowing more variety in each session.
- Like HIIT, you need little or no equipment and very little space.
How do I do my first Tabata workout?
I’m so glad you asked! 😉 Here’s example of a Tabata workout that alternates between upper body and lower body exercises that you can try out:
- 5 minute warm up
- Push up – 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest, performed 8 times (4 mins)
- 1 minute rest
- Squat – 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest, performed 8 times (4 mins)
- 1 minute rest
- Pull up – 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest, performed 8 times (4 mins)
- 1 minute rest
- Lunges – 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest, performed 8 times (4 mins)
- 5 minute cool down
How would I rate Tabatas for weight loss?
Personally, I think Tabata workouts would just edge out standard HIIT workouts with a 9/10 effectiveness.
In a sense, Tabatas are really just a more specific form of HIIT.
For busy guys like you and me, I think Tabatas are awesome due to the ease of workout structure and the fact that you only need to find 4 exercises to do for each Tabata session.
Weight Loss Workouts For Men #3:
Strength Based Circuit Training
Quick definition: A series of exercises performed in direct sequence without rest.
What’s strength based circuit training all about?
Circuit training has been around for many years and you may have even done it in High School or taken a class at your local gym.
“Strength-Based Circuit Training” is a slight modification from normal circuit training where you complete a sequence of strength-building exercises back-to-back, with a 1-minute rest only once you have completed the whole circuit.
Strength-Circuit Training is slightly less intense than HIIT or Tabata as it is less about short bursts of maximum effort and more about completing quality exercises with good form over a longer duration set.
How will Strength Based Circuit Training help me lose weight?
Because strength based circuit training workouts typically use exercises with weights (dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells, etc), these circuits will help you build muscle (more so that HIIT or Tabatas).
Compared to traditional strength training (where you rest between each set), strength based circuit training will help you torch more fat while still building muscle.
And, as you will see in just a second, building muscle is a KEY COMPONENT of losing weight and fat, which is a big reason circuit training is an effective component of this best weight loss workouts for men guide.
Here are 4 main benefits of Strength Based Circuit Training:
- Strength based circuits will help you build muscle.
- Strength based circuits increase your metabolic rate.
- Circuits are perhaps your best “bang for your buck” combination of muscle building lifting + cardio.
- Circuit training pairs very well with HIIT and Tabatas.
Here at The Fit Father Project, we recommend you do strength based circuit training on alternating days with HIIT/Tabatas just like we show you in our powerful Fit Father 30X Weight Loss Program.
How do I do my first Strength Based Circuit?
A standard full-body strength circuit will look something like this:
- Dumbbell Squats – 12 reps
- Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press – 12 reps
- Bent-Over Dumbbell Rows – 12 reps
- Dumbbell Stiff Deadlifts – 12 reps
- Alternating Dumbbell Curls – 12 reps on each arm
- Lying Leg raises for core x 45 seconds
- 1 minutes rest, then complete for 3-4 more circuits
FREE STRENGTH CIRCUIT WORKOUT: Click here for free instant access to our Fit Father 24-Min Strength & Fat Loss Circuit workout video. We’ll send the full workout video straight to your email.
How would I rate Strength-Circuits for weight loss?
As a weight loss workout, I would give strength based circuit training a rating of 7/10. HIIT and Tabata are slightly better at DIRECTLY burning fat, due to their use of short high intensity burst intervals.
YET, even though Tabatas/HIIT edge out strength based circuits in the short-run, strength circuits are an absolutely necessary component for long-term weight loss success by helping you build muscle which increases your metabolism.
As you’re hopefully beginning to see in this best weight loss workouts for men guide, it isn’t simply any given workout that will ultimately help you lose weight…
But how those workouts fit together into a complete plan.
Weight Loss Workouts For Men #4:
Quick definition: It’s just you, your body weight, and 5 feet of floor space.
What’s bodyweight training all about?
Instead of using weights such as dumbbells or kettlebells, with body weight workouts, all resistance is provided from your own weight.
This type of training has obviously been around for as long as mankind itself and would have started with our ancestors climbing trees!
How will bodyweight workouts help me lose weight?
There are quite a few benefits to bodyweight workouts, as you can see below:
- You need no equipment at all
- Bodyweight exercise is good for beginners or those returning to exercise, as it aids in conditioning your body and strengthening stabilizer muscles
- You can do bodyweight workouts anywhere
- You will develop strength and overall body control
- There is tons of exercise variety
How do I do a bodyweight workout?
Because there are so many ways to do bodyweight workouts, I will give you examples of some great bodyweight exercises for each major body part (chest, back, legs, shoulders, etc).
And I’ll show you how you can combine these bodyweight exercises into a circuit.
- Chest – Push-ups up (30 seconds)
- Back – Pull-ups (30 seconds)
- Shoulders – handstand holds (10 seconds)
- Triceps – Bench dips (30 seconds)
- Biceps – Narrow grip, under hand pull up (20 seconds)
- Legs – Squats/lunges (30 seconds)
- Abs – Planks (30 seconds)
- Calves – Calf raises (30 seconds)
- Rest 1-minute before performing the circuit 2-3 more times
You could also include more dynamic and explosive (plyometric) exercises – such as squat jumps, alternating jumping lunges, box jumps, etc.
How would I rate bodyweight workouts for weight loss?
I am going to give bodyweight training a 7/10 when it comes to weight loss – due to versatility and simplicity (no equipment needed) – as well as the unique benefit of helping you gain stabilisation strength in addition to fat loss.
That said, bodyweight training is not quite as good at burning fat as HIIT, Tabatas, or even strength based circuits.
Weight Loss Workouts For Men #5:
A Good Solid, Healthy Diet!
Quick definition: This is (by far) the MOST IMPORTANT factor in losing weight – being far more important than any given workout.
I thought this was a workout guide! What’s this about?
This last “workout” may seem like a bit of a trick.
YET this is perhaps the most important point in this entire workout guide.
Man-to-man, you could do all of the workouts listed above back to back, but if your diet is poor, your results will be too.
Fact #1: A big part of weight loss comes down to managing your calorie intake.
Yes, you can absolutely strive to BURN MORE calories using the great workouts we listed above. Yet, we always preach this truism in all of our weight loss programs…
Fact #2: When it comes to weight loss, “You cannot out-exercise a bad diet!”
Here’s a powerful image (on the right) that we want to show you to drive this point home. 1 medium fries from McDonalds contains 500-600 calories, which is roughly equivalent to 1 hour of hard exercise.
What’s easier for you… finding an hour to exercise hard? Or following a good meal plan that keeps you full, increases your metabolism, and reduces your cravings for things like fries?
For me, it’s a no-brainer. A healthy diet is always the best weight loss foundation.
What are the weight loss benefits of a healthy diet?
To drive the importance of a healthy diet for weight loss home, here are 8 benefits of starting the proper weight loss eating plan.
A Healthy Diet provides you with…
- Faster weight loss
- More energy for work, play & exercise.
- Increased muscle tissue
- Better sleep
- Stronger immune system
- Healthier digestive system
- Improved recovery
- Faster metabolism
Because you’re reading this article, you’re probably interested in losing weight. That’s why we urge you to get started on a proper eating plan.
If you haven’t grabbed a copy of our Free 1-Day Weight Loss Meal Plan For Men, then I highly recommend you do that before trying any of these workouts. You can download it by clicking the box below!
Every sustainable and effective weight loss plan must start with a proper diet.
Here at the Fit Father Project, we specialize in creating the most simple, sustainable, and effective weight loss plans for men.
We can help you if you’re searching for a bulletproof plan 🙂
How would you I rate healthy eating for weight loss?
As I mentioned above, healthy eating is the “king of it all” when it comes to weight loss. I give this the full 10/10. If your nutrition plan is not in place, then any of the workouts you undertake will not have nearly the same benefit.
Get your nutrition workout in place and the rest will follow.
So, how should I start using this information?
Action Step #1: I highly suggest you get your healthy eating plan dialled in with our Free 1-Day Weight Loss Meal Plan.
Action Step #2: I would then suggest you follow something like the workout schedule below to maximize weight loss.
Mon – Tabata (Intense fat burn focus)
Tue – Circuit (Fat burn + muscle building)
Wed – HIIT (Intense fat burn focus)
Thu – Body-weight workout (strength + body control)
Fri – Tabata (Intense fat burn focus)
Sat – Fun, longer duration activity (like walking, hiking, or playing with family)
Sun – Rest, or as Sat
Alternatively, you could grab our Free 24-Minute metabolism boosting workout that we can deliver direct to your inbox TODAY, to get you started.
We hand you the entire proven weight loss plan, step-by-step:
- The delicious Fit Father Meal Plan
- The metabolism boosting Fit Father 30X Workout Plan (under 90 min/week)
- VIP email coaching where our expert trainer will personally walk you through the program
Click here to read the FF30X Program overview letter to learn how to lose weight – the simple and sustainable way.
Summary: The 5 Best Weight Loss Workouts For Men
So there you have it, my friend! I hope you’ve enjoyed this comprehensive guide on the 5 best weight loss workouts for men.
I’ve shared with you what I consider to be the best weight loss workouts for men. Yet, as you probably know from personal experience, information without application is totally useless.
I want to challenge you to APPLY this information into your own life to see real results. Don’t let this be another article that you read and forget about.
The best way to ensure you take action is to hop on our Fit Father Project email list for weekly updates and more great guides on workouts, weight loss, healthy eating, and motivation.
Click here to join over 25,000 other men who subscribe to the Fit Father Project newsletter. You’ll receive your “Welcome Gifts” including our free meal plan + workout plan
Also, keep us up to date with your progress by revisiting our site, posting in the comments below, and checking out our Facebook page.
Our coaches, trainers or other Fit Fathers will be more than happy to share their insights or answers with you.
If you know any men that would benefit from this information, share it with them using the social media buttons below. We’re here to help all those wishing to become a Fit Father!
Are you a busy guy that doesn’t have time to workout?
Worry no more…we have you covered with a simple & BULLETPROOF PLAN that offers you weight loss success… or your money back!
Your new friend & health coach,
Head Training Staff, The Fit Father Project
Brotherhood Nickname: “The Fit Brit”
Bragging Rights: 16 Years in the Fitness industry, Author of ‘The Easy Fitness Guide’, Father to 4 boys and Husband to a Venezuelan Beauty.
*Please know that weight loss results & health changes/improvements vary from individual to individual. Always consult with your doctor before making health decisions. This is not medical advice – simply very well-researched info about the best weight loss workouts for men.